Fran Hollingsworth, M.A. Licensed Professional Counselor
A wise man will hear and increase in learning, and a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel. (Proverbs 1:5)
When I first decided to become a professional counselor, I faced what I thought at the time was a huge moral dilemma. Given the great divide between the principles of the Bible and the principles of modern psychology, was it possible to obtain a secular Master’s degree in Counseling, practice general counseling and still believe in and adhere to my Christian faith? Surprisingly, the answer to that question was yes.
I believe the Bible is inerrant and is the fully revealed truth about God and Humans. Modern psychology is not. Even though counseling and psychological theories were developed by flawed men and women with varying ideas on what is truth and how to resolve the many issues people face, some bedrock principles have gained common acceptance in modern thought that are also fully compatible with Biblical principles. These common principles are an essential part of emotional healing:
- We must forgive others and ourselves
- We must let go of past injuries and mistakes and move onward believing that life can be better
- By changing the way we think about ourselves and the world, we can control our feelings and determine the direction of our life
- People who intentionally practice daily gratitude are more satisfied with their lives
- Contributing to the well-being of others increases our satisfaction in life
- People are the happiest when they have healthy relationships with other people
Although modern counseling certainly does not accept the foundational Christian belief in salvation through faith in Jesus Christ, it is here, where the truth of the Bible intersects with the compatible principles of modern psychology, that I have built my Christian counseling theory and practice.
Through the years as a counselor, I have developed several areas of specialty: depression/anxiety, grief, ADHD, divorce counseling and parent education. Whatever issues you are facing, I am confident there is reason for hope! I would welcome the opportunity to encourage you as you move toward the joy and destiny God has designed for you.
Evening and Saturday appointments only.
Services are available for $100 per 50-minute session.
Cash, check, HSA cards and credit cards are accepted. Private insurance is not accepted.
For more information, please contact me directly at 214-725-5605 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org